Monday, April 27, 2015

Sunday April 26th - A rest day!!! Closing out our first week, we rode yesterday mostly along the historic Route 66 from Gallup, through lots of little towns, the Continental Divide and down into Albuquerque, NM. It was a long, but very pretty ride with some cross and tail winds and many nice descents.
It has been a very unique, mental and physically challenging week filled with many ups and downs - on and off the road. It was great to have a rest day. Lisa flew into town and we enjoyed getting up to Santa Fe, having a great dinner and even the surprise of some snow!! With a great week, it was still sad to say good bye to 5 riders whose trip ended in Albuquerque. For the last couple days I've been dealing with nerve and numbness problems in my hands to where I am now wearing braces on them. I'm staying in Albuquerque on Monday to get a proper evaluation. My hands are so much a part who am, how I work and my heart and soul that I want to make sure everything will be ok before I push forward. I'll post an update as soon as possible.



Update:I was diagnosed in Albuquerque by a hand surgeon today with ulnar nerve compression in both hands. Moving forward, I am modifying my bike that will include adding an aero bar to take the pressure off my hands. I'm bussing up to rejoin my group and, while my ride is going to change greatly, I look forward to the next chapter in this journey across America. Thank you everyone for all of your amazing support.
With a little free time left in very friendly Albuquerque, I swung by a few of the set locations from 'Breaking Bad'. Goofy times. :))



 Walt and Skylar's Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment